3 Reasons Poetry Can Help With Emotional Well Being
During this pandemic, more people than you might think have been facing some pretty serious mental struggles. One way to get help is to write and read poetry.
November 20, 2020
During this pandemic, we have all changed immensely for the best and the worst. We might have had a glo up, we might have made new friends, and the list goes on. One thing most people do not say or share they struggle with mental health. No one is happy all of the time, so everyone can help improve different aspects of themselves.
During this pandemic, more people than you might think have been facing some pretty serious mental struggles. One way to get help is to write and read poetry. If you want to help yourself and your mental health, then please listen up and read!
1. Poetry Allows Us to Be Vulnerable With Ourselves and Others
Poetry is a creative outlet that lets us become closer to others by:
- Connecting to people creatively through sharing our writing
- Opening the door to expressing our feelings whether we are alone or together
- Hearing that others are listening to us, even if it is just your pen and paper
You can be vulnerable to yourself and never share your poetry, or you can choose to enlighten others. Poetry is an amazing tool to get your words out and feel at peace. Jotting a poem down in your notebook can give you a sense of relief. You may feel you made an impact when you share a poem with others.
2. Writing and Reading Poems Can Provide Comfort
When writing poetry, our scariest thoughts and worries may go away. Writing poetry can help:
- Get points across in a calm way
- Transport you into another world away from your problems
- Conquer your struggles by seeing things in a new perspective
- Visually see our mental fights so we can problem solve
This is really valuable because we can record and feel our emotions in a new way, or look back on our feelings and see how far we've come.
3. A Way to Express Our Inner Worlds
Everyone has good and bad days, which are completely normal. Its important people have a way to talk about mental health, and poetry is a creative resource to start the conversation. This can also help widen people's ability to seek help and realize what they are going through is not uncommon.
Consider writing a poem once in a while to let out your feelings. You may find you feel much better.
How to Get Started
As a quick recap, poetry can help you feel comfort, vulnerability and become a stronger person. If you want to start your journey to better mental health, this guided mental health poetry journal from Amazon helps you start your road to peace and affirmation. I hope you learned something today and look into poetry as a soothing practice!