5 Affordable, Sustainable Fashion Brands That You Need in Your Closet
Washing clothes leads to 500,000 tons of microfibers finding their way into the ocean — that’s equal to 50 BILLION plastic water bottles.
November 20, 2020
Now more than ever, it is important to shop responsibly. Why? Well, according to business insider, the following is true about the fashion industry:
- EVERY SECOND, the equivalent of an entire garbage truck full of clothes is dumped or burned in a landfill.
- Every year, almost 85% of all clothing ends up in the landfill. That's enough to fill the Sydney harbor once per YEAR. And the Sydney harbor is HUGE.
- Washing clothes leads to 500,000 tons of microfibers finding their way into the ocean — that’s equal to 50 BILLION plastic water bottles.
- In the end, the fashion industry accounts for 20% of industrial water pollution around the world.
What you just read are the results of what's called FAST fashion - brands that mass-produce clothing at low cost. Think sweatshops, big factories, and low-quality materials.
And while it's easy to shop fast fashion because of low prices (Zara, H&M, etc.) there are BIG environmental impacts. But, few think about the repercussions. That's where Warriors speak up.
It's time to start purchasing with purpose.
The fashion industry has shifted with the start of the sustainable revolution.
Once upon a time, the producer had the power and influence, but now the consumers do. Consumers have the choice to reward sustainable brands. We need to use our dollars to VOTE for environmentally friendly clothing brands that are bringing on change.
But wait... isn't sustainable fashion like, REALLY expensive?
Sustainable fashion has gained a tarnished reputation for being unaffordable.
But really, when you factor in the quality, longevity, and positive impact sustainable clothing has on the earth, the price is worth it.
Below are 5 sustainable fashion brands that you might not know are all under $100:
1. Tentree - Plant 10 Trees Every Time you Buy Something
About the brand: Tentree is a sustainable loungewear brand that sells men, women, and kids sustainable clothing and accessories (really the whole package deal!).
Why Buy: Tentrees sustainability initiative is to be the most well rounded sustainable brand. What do I mean by that?
- Make a purchase plant a tree: This size-inclusive brand works to plant 10 trees with every one sale made.
- Sustainable materials & workplace: Green Tentree uses more sustainable fabrics in their products, such as Tencel and Hemp. They also give factory workers and manufacturers fair pay and working conditions.
- Green Energy: Tentree emphasizes the importance of lowering transportation energy. We are actually helping when we buy a product! We are helping reduce the carbon emission, waste, and water used in transportation.
2. Allbirds - Reduce your carbon footprint, literally.
About the brand: Allbirds is a well known sustainable sneaker brand. All birds sneakers start at $95 for men and women.
Why buy: These shoes are made almost entirely with eco-friendly materials. To name the three main ones:
- Recycled water bottle plastic (used for the sneaker laces)
- Castor Bean Oil (used for the insole)
- Recycled cardboard (packaging)
3. This is a Day - Clothes That Can Last Lifetime
About the brand:
This is a Day is an affordable fashion brand that sells the staple wardrobe that every woman needs in their closet. The average price of the clothing is around $68, at the lowest.
Why buy: The sustainable goal for This is a Day is to focus on clothing longevity. They encourage customers to buy the products while keeping in mind that it will last for a long time. They want to get rid of fast fashion and change the way that consumers think about shopping. By shopping for quality, you are saving money and increasing your clothing lifespan!
4. Levi's - Protect the Planet With Your Purchase
About the brand: Levi's is not only the king of denim; they're also the lead sustainable denim brand. The average pair of jeans is $98. That might seem expensive to someone who is not working, but the lifespan of a pair of jeans is unbelievable. I believe is worth the buy of a pair that will last long.
Why buy: Levi's has been the frontline of sustainability and social responsibility for years.
- Conscious production: They support sustainable cotton farms that reduce water and harmful chemical usage. They also help reduce climate change by using 100% renewable energy, and they use environmentally friendly fabrics such as Tencel Lyocell in the jean.
- Longevity: A pair of jeans can last up to FIVE years and still look brand new.
Now that you've read all that, $98 seems like nothing, right?!
5. Girlfriend Collective - Where Wearing Plastic Is the Norm.
About the brand: Girlfriend Collective is an affordable athletic wear brand that specializes in size inclusivity. The average price of a sports bra is $40, and a pair of leggings is $70.
Why buy: Girlfriend Collective provides detailed information about their sustainability efforts.
- Recycled fabric: The Recycled fabrics used include recycled Polyester and recycled Nylon. Every element manufactured is reusable, which is hard to come by these days.
- Water bottle material: They reuse plastic water bottles to get the soft texture of the clothes. How cool is that?
Ready To Save The World While You Shop?!?!
Now that you see the benefits of shopping sustainable fashion brands, why would you want to shop any other way? It's important to remember that the best type of shopping is second hand, to give clothes another life. But, when shopping these brands, keep in mind that you aren't just buying products. You are buying a better future. Help save the Earth by shopping sustainably.